BALTIMORE, Aug. 12 (UPI) -- A man who was infected with Legionnaire's disease at housing for the elderly in Baltimore has filed a $225 million lawsuit.
Max Taylor Jr., 62, said the disease wrecked his life, The Baltimore Sun reported Thursday. Taylor, who was living at the Stadium Place apartments to care for his elderly father, blames the infection for a stroke that left him with slurred speech and difficulty walking.
Taylor now lives with his son in Charlotte, N.C.
Legionnaire's, a sometimes fatal pneumonia, is caused by a bacterium that lives in warm water, including air conditioning systems. The disease was first identified when a group of men became sick attending an American Legion convention at a Philadelphia hotel.
At Stadium Place, 10 people got sick last year and one died. The U.S. Centers for Disease Control says the outbreak may be linked to a temporary water line installed in August 2009 so city workers could shut down and repair the water main.