DUBAI, United Arab Emirates, Feb. 9 (UPI) -- The observation deck at the top of the Burj Khalifa, the world's tallest building in the United Arab Emirates, has been closed temporarily, sources say.
Citing an unnamed senior Dubai Civil Defense official, the Gulf News reported Tuesday that the 124th-floor "At the Top" visitor attraction was shut down following a Saturday night technical glitch and that building owners are working on "issues with the power supply."
The observation deck for the Burj Khalifa, which opened last month, is set to reopen Sunday, the source said.
Gulf News quoted the source as saying: "This is a minor case; it was not serious at all. Staff members at the Burj Khalifa handled the situation perfectly."
"I was walking around the observation deck when I heard this really loud noise and what looked like smoke or dust coming out from one of the elevator doors," 31-year-old American Michael Sims told the newspaper. "There were at least 60 people on the deck at the time. Employees and security staff were telling people that everything was OK.
"But once it became clear we were not being allowed back down, some people got really angry while others started crying."