BRUSSELS, March 4 (UPI) -- Security challenges in the Democratic Republic of Congo are far from over, European Commissioner for Development Andris Piebalgs said Tuesday.
Piebalgs said the European Union is unveiling $850 million in funding to support DRC development through 2020.
DRC was embroiled in conflict for much of last year before it reached a cease-fire agreement with members of the March 23 rebel movement. Piebalgs said there are still national security concerns in DRC that require international attention.
"We cannot be complacent: the problem of armed groups is not solved, and we must continue to focus on it," he said in a statement from Brussels.
EU funding for DRC will be used to fight poverty and promote sustainable economic development, he said.
Doctors without Borders said in a 68-page report published Monday the healthcare system in DRC is "hardly functioning" under the strain of lingering conflict.
Piebalgs, who visits the region later this week, said the EU assistance is about more than national security.
"This is not just about international assistance, though that is important, but about creating conditions that allow all citizens to fulfill their potential in a safe environment, with their rights protected by strong and accountable institutions," he said.