BEIRUT, Lebanon, Jan. 8 (UPI) -- The Lebanese government said its military was on full alert Wednesday after about a dozen Israeli soldiers approached a shared border region.
The official National News Agency in Lebanon said 12 Israeli soldiers crossed a barb wire fence near the border. They came within about 150 feet of crossing the so-called Blue Line, a U.N.-demarcated area separating Israel from Lebanon.
The report said the U.N. Interim Force in Lebanon and the Lebanese military were on a heightened state of alert following the border incident.
Last week, UNIFIL said it and the Lebanese military found four rocket-firing sites associated with an attack from unnamed guerrillas, who fired on Israeli targets from southern Lebanon.
UNIFIL said its radar detected 32 artillery shells were fired by response Israeli forces following the late December rocket launches from southern Lebanon.
No injuries were reported and UNIFIL said in December its area of operations was calm.
An Israeli soldier was shot and killed by a Lebanese military sniper in mid-December. UNIFIL said the Lebanese solider acted alone.
There was no statement Wednesday from UNIFIL regarding the Israeli border incident.