Advertisement

Europe finds Egyptian violence unacceptable

BRUSSELS, Aug. 14 (UPI) -- European leaders were quick to express their concern about the escalating crisis in Egypt as political confrontations turned deadly Wednesday.

President of the European Parliament Martin Schulz said the number of casualties reported Wednesday "were not acceptable."

Advertisement

Al-Arabiya broadcast live video Wednesday showing military vehicles in the streets and a general state of unrest. Estimated death tolls have varied widely but scores were killed.

"It's the government's responsibility to find a peaceful and fair solution to the current crisis toward an inclusive political process and reconciliation," Schulz said in a statement.

He said he was concerned by the level of violence between supporters of ousted President Mohamed Morsi and Egyptian police.

Authorities last week warned they'd intervene in the ongoing demonstrations that began after Mori's ouster in early July.

Italian Foreign Minister Emma Bonino said she was "pained" by the violence, urging all sides to maximize self control. British Foreign Secretary said Wednesday he was "deeply concerned" by the violence, adding he was disappointed all parties to the political crisis were unable to find a peaceful resolution.

The Muslim Brotherhood issued a statement that said "victory is near" adding "anger has reached unprecedented proportions."

Advertisement

The group said Morsi's ouster violated the spirit of the 2011 revolution that unseated Hosni Mubarak. Morsi hails from the Brotherhood.

The Egyptian government declared a month-long state of emergency in response to the bloodshed.

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement