Egyptian opponents to ousted President Mohamed Morsi gather at Tahrir square in Cairo, Egypt, July 26, 2013. Dozens of people have been killed in overnight clashes between security forces and supporters of ousted Egyptian President Mohammed Morsi. UPI/Ahmed Jomaa | License Photo
CAIRO, July 29 (UPI) -- The British government said it was advising against travel to Egypt because of continued unrest and the evolving political situation.
Egypt's official news agency reported three people died in Sinai Peninsula during Sunday clashes between demonstrators Sunday. The British Foreign and Commonwealth Office said it was advising against all travel to Egypt because of the "increase in criminal activity and recent terrorist attacks."
Egypt descended into violence following the July 3 ouster of Mohamed Morsi. Catherine Ashton, the top foreign policy official in the European Union, arrived Monday in Cairo to discuss the crisis with acting President Adly Mansour and acting Vice President Mohamed ElBaradei.
Monday's visit is the second for Ashton this month. She said she would press for an inclusive political solution to the crisis.
"This process must lead, as soon as possible, to constitutional order, free and fair elections and a civilian-led government," she said in a statement.
The military removed Morsi from office. The Muslim Brotherhood, his political supporters, have so far refused to take part in political settlements.
U.N. High Commissioner for Human Rights Navi Pillay said her office had evidence suggesting more than 150 people died as a result of political violence in Egypt in July. She said she was concerned about the direction of the country.
"I fear for the future of Egypt if the military and other security forces, as well as some demonstrators, continue to take such a confrontational and aggressive approach," she said Sunday.