THE HAGUE, Netherlands, July 15 (UPI) -- The International Criminal Court said Monday it rejected a defense request to hold hearings in Kenya or Tanzania for the leaders charged with war crimes.
The ICC said a trial for Kenyan Vice President William Ruto and national broadcast director Joshua Arap Sang is scheduled Sept. 10 at The Hague in the presence of the accused. The court said Monday it denied a request to hold the hearing in Kenya or Tanzania.
The court said it recognized a need to hold trials closer to the affected nations but said cost and security should be considered when weighing its ability to conduct impartial proceedings.
The men are accused of stoking ethnic violence after a disputed 2007 election. Post-election conflict in Kenya left more than 1,000 people dead and another 600,000 displaced.
Kenyan President Uhuru Kenyatta faces similar charges at The Hague. The court said previously those serving in official capacity are not shielded from international laws.
The trial for Kenyatta is scheduled to begin Nov. 12.
A Kenyan truth and reconciliation committee accused both men of planning and financing the post-election violence. Kenyatta and Ruto deny the charges.