Advertisement

North Korea claims win in nuclear standoff

A photo of a mobile, long-range missile launcher, which has alarmed the Pentagon, is displayed on a picture board in front of the North Korean embassy in Beijing on March 22, 2013. China is willing to promote dialogue between North and South Korea as stability on the Korean peninsula is also in China's best interest, President Xi Jinping told his South Korean counterpart this week. Beijing is North Korea's sole diplomatic and economic ally, but relations have been strained by Pyongyang's bellicose actions and threats to the United States and South Korea. UPI/Stephen Shaver
A photo of a mobile, long-range missile launcher, which has alarmed the Pentagon, is displayed on a picture board in front of the North Korean embassy in Beijing on March 22, 2013. China is willing to promote dialogue between North and South Korea as stability on the Korean peninsula is also in China's best interest, President Xi Jinping told his South Korean counterpart this week. Beijing is North Korea's sole diplomatic and economic ally, but relations have been strained by Pyongyang's bellicose actions and threats to the United States and South Korea. UPI/Stephen Shaver | License Photo

PYONGYANG, North Korea, March 25 (UPI) -- A decision from the United Nations to investigate the North Korean rights record is indicative of its failure in the nuclear standoff, the government said.

The United Nations last week said it would investigate North Korea's rights record. The government is accused of focusing heavily on its military arsenal to the detriment of its people.

Advertisement

The government said last week's decision was a publicity move meant to tarnish North Korea's reputation.

"(It's a) smear campaign against the human rights in North Korea, a desperate effort to evade a shameful defeat in the nuclear standoff with the government and invent a pretext for invasion and pressure," the Yonhap news agency in South Korea quoted Pyongyang as saying.

North Korea drew international rebukes in February when it carried out its third underground nuclear test.

The U.S and South Korean governments signed a deal last week to respond to what U.S. Forces Korea described as North Korean "provocations."

North Korea threatened to use nuclear weapons in response to growing international condemnations. Its February nuclear test was described as part of a campaign against the United States.

Latest Headlines