Thailand seek more Iranian bomb suspects

Feb. 21, 2012 at 6:30 AM
share with facebook
share with twitter

BANGKOK, Feb. 21 (UPI) -- Police in Thailand have issued arrest warrants for two more people in its investigation into a suspected bomb attempt by Iranians on Israeli nationals.

A warrant was issued for the arrest of Norouzi Shayan Ali Akbar, 57, an Iranian believed to have returned to Iran after three suspects attempted to flee from police last week.

Police are seeking the cooperation of the Iranian Embassy in Bangkok for the arrest of Akbar, police said.

Akbar faces charges of jointly producing and assembling bombs, unauthorized possession of bombs and causing explosions that physically injured others, a report by the Bangkok Post newspaper said.

Police said Akbar arrived in Thailand Feb. 2 and was identified by security cameras leaving the Bangkok house rented by suspects on the morning prior to the afternoon explosion Feb. 14. However, he left Thailand before the explosion and returned to Iran.

The explosion put police in Bangkok on high alert because of suspicion that it was connected to bomb attempts on Israelis in Georgia and India, allegedly by Iranians.

The wife of an Israeli diplomat in New Delhi suffered shrapnel wounds and three other people were injured when the embassy car in which she was traveling exploded.

In Georgia, police managed to diffuse a bomb on the underside of an embassy car in the Georgian capital Tbilisi.

"Iran is behind these attacks and it is the largest terror exporter in the world," Israeli Prime Minister Binyamin Netanyahu said soon after the Georgian and Indian incidents.

The chain of events in Bangkok began at a rented house in the Ekamai district at around 2:40 p.m. when an explosion drove three men outside, police told the BBC last week.

One of the men, Saeid Moradi, ran away and tried to hail a taxi. But when the taxi didn't stop he allegedly threw a bomb at it, which went off.

Moradi, 28, was captured several streets away after he allegedly threw a bomb at a police vehicle. The explosives bounced off a passing car and exploded in front of the suspect, blowing off his legs, the Post reported.

Three passers-by -- aged 33, 62 and 80 -- were injured in the last explosion, the Post report said.

Later that afternoon police at Bangkok's airport arrested Mohamad Khazaei, 42, one of the other two men who fled the house.

The third man who fled the house, Masoud Sedaghat Zadeh, 30, managed to board a flight to Malaysia where he was detained. Thai police said they are seeking his extradition.

Police are seeking an Iranian woman, Leila Rohani, 31, who is believed to have left Thailand early this month for Iran.

A sixth man also is wanted by Thai police. Nikkhahfard Javad, whose nationality isn't yet clear but he may be of Middle East origin, is believed to be in Iran, the BBC said.

The Bangkok Post said police believe the suspected bombers used stickers with the

term Sejeal on them to mark public spots where a bomb attack could take place.

Stickers were found in the suspects' rented house and on dozens electricity poles and billboards along a mile of Duang Phithak Road, a city route favored by Israeli officials, police said.

Related UPI Stories
Latest Headlines
Trending Stories