ASTANA, Kazakhstan, Dec. 22 (UPI) -- The prosecutor general in Kazakhstan said Thursday he invited the United Nations to join an investigation into deadly clashes last week.
Clashes between security forces and demonstrators followed oil strikes in the western town of Zhanaozen last week. At least 15 people were killed during the violence.
A video circulated on YouTube shows demonstrators apparently getting shot by riot police, though security officials claimed victims were struck by ricochets.
Kazakh Prosecutor General Ashkat Daulbaev invited the United Nations to join an investigation into the clashes during a meeting in Astana with a U.N. human rights envoy, Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty reports.
Human Rights Watch contends 50-year-old Nazarbai Kenzhebaev, arrested in connection with last week's violence, died Wednesday of injuries sustained while in police custody.
He allegedly was subjected to "multiple" beatings while in custody, the rights group said.
"The Kazakh authorities should immediately investigate his death, prosecute those responsible, and take urgent measures to stop and prevent police mistreatment," Rachel Denber, deputy Europe and Central Asia director at Human Rights Watch, said in a statement.