TEHRAN, Oct. 17 (UPI) -- Saudi Arabia should be more cautious about allegations regarding an alleged plot to kill Riyadh's envoy to Washington, Iran's foreign minister said.
The U.S. Justice Department announced it had foiled a murder-for-hire scheme in which two Iranians with connections to the al-Quds force of Iran's Revolutionary Guard allegedly attempted to hire a Mexican man to assassinate Saudi Ambassador Adel Al-Jubeir in Washington in spring 2012 in return for $1.5 million.
Last week, Saudi Foreign Minister Saud al-Faisal told reporters in Vienna the claims about Iranian actions against regional adversaries were nothing new.
In apparent response, Iranian Foreign Minister Ali Akbar Salehi said Saudi authorities needed to be more cautious, the official Islamic Republic News Agency reports. He went on to say the claims made by Washington were a ruse meant to sway public opinion.
Iran's Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, the country's supreme leader, warned during the weekend that if Washington had any "plans," U.S. leaders should know they would be "thwarted strongly by the Iranian nation."
Salehi added that Tehran was calling on Washington to present its evidence on the alleged assassination plot.
U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said, during a news conference Monday in Switzerland, that he's reviewed all of the correspondences from Washington, Tehran and Riyadh regarding the plot "to the Security Council for their consideration, and I will have to see what the discussions will be at the Security Council."