KINSHASA, Democratic Republic of Congo, Oct. 7 (UPI) -- The United Nations called on the government of the Democratic Republic of the Congo to capture those responsible for the deaths of five humanitarian workers.
Five humanitarian workers were among those killed Monday in an attack in the Democratic Republic of Congo. The United Nations said the attack is the single deadliest assault on humanitarian workers in the country.
"We deplore with all our energy this aggression and all the other acts which hamper humanitarian work in DRC," the U.N. acting coordinator in the country, Pierrette Vu Thi, said in a statement. "We call on the government to immediately open an inquiry to find the perpetrators of this odious act so as to bring them to justice."
Last month, the U.N. peacekeeping mission in the DRC, MONUSCO, expressed concern after hundreds of prisoners escaped from a DRC detention center. MONUSCO, said it was concerned about the whereabouts of Gedeon Kyungu Mutanga, a former leader of the Mai Mai militia, a rebel group suspected of playing a role in widespread sexual violence in the country.