Advertisement

Yemen still investigating Saleh attack

An image grab taken from Yemen's state television shows Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh delivering a televised speech from the Saudi capital Riyadh on July 7, 2011 as he made his first TV appearance since he was wounded in an explosion at his palace in Sanaa. UPI/Ismael Mohamad.
An image grab taken from Yemen's state television shows Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh delivering a televised speech from the Saudi capital Riyadh on July 7, 2011 as he made his first TV appearance since he was wounded in an explosion at his palace in Sanaa. UPI/Ismael Mohamad. | License Photo

SANAA, Yemen, Aug. 8 (UPI) -- Yemeni authorities said they were still investigating the June 3 attack that put the country's president in the hospital for more than two months.

Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh and Prime Minister Ali Mohammed Mujawar were released from a military hospital in Saudi Arabia last weekend. Both were gravely injured in a June 3 attack on a mosque at the presidential palace in Sanaa.

Advertisement

Authorities in Yemen said they were still investigating the attack, the officials Saba news agency reports.

An editorial in Saba last month said members of the opposition movement in Yemen were collaborating with al-Qaida to overthrow the government, saying there were similarities between the attack and the October 2000 attack by al-Qaida against the USS Cole in the Gulf of Aden.

GALLERY: Arab Spring, Revolutions of 2011

Saleh has clung to power for much of the year. Despite international pressure to do so, he's refused to sign a deal brokered by the Gulf Cooperation Council to resign.

Opposition groups have been calling for an interim council created to prevent his return. Saleh has ruled Yemen since 1978.

Advertisement

A return date to Yemen by either leader wasn't announced.

Latest Headlines