UNITED NATIONS, Dec. 13 (UPI) -- The United Nations issued a formal complaint to the Sudanese government after military forces attacked rebels in Darfur, a U.N. agency said.
"The incident is the second of its kind in the locality, known to have supporters of the armed movement, Sudan Liberation Army / Minni Minawi, over a period of 24 hours," the joint U.N.-African Union mission in Darfur said in a statement. "In all, two have died and 24 have been wounded. Many in the village are reported to be leaving."
UNAMID said that as a response of the ground attack, it "demarched the government at the highest level for the attacks on the village to cease."
Luis Moreno-Ocampo, the chief prosecutor at the International Criminal Court, told the U.N. Security Council last week that Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir, who is under ICC indictment, is trying to manipulate the world community.
"The government of Sudan is not cooperating with the court and has conducted no national proceedings against those responsible for the crimes committed" in Darfur, the prosecutor said.
He said rape and fear are being used as "silent weapons" that are ignored by peacekeeping forces in the region, which has suffered atrocities committed by the Janjaweed militia.
Bashir is facing genocide, war crimes and crimes against humanity charges.