SANAA, Yemen, Sept. 23 (UPI) -- The international community expressed its concern regarding the sustained level of instability in north Yemen and its humanitarian consequences.
The U.N. refugee agency condemned a failed cease-fire attempt during the weekend meant to open humanitarian corridors to relief agencies.
"This is the second failed cease-fire in less than a month," complained Andrej Mahecic, a spokesperson for the U.N. High Commissioner for Refugees.
The Yemeni government launched a major military offensive against al-Houthi rebels in north Yemen in early August. Relief agencies and the United Nations issued repeated concerns regarding the humanitarian consequences of the fighting.
Yemen faced its own scrutiny following allegations a military airstrike on a compound in Amran province killed as many as 87 civilians last week.
The United Nations and international relief agencies said their appeals for assistance in Yemen were largely ignored. Nevertheless, national governments from Iran to Turkey have issued official condemnations over the level of violence in Yemen.
"The conflicts in Yemen during the last month, especially in recent days, have killed and wounded defenseless humans, rendered many innocent people homeless and left many saddening human catastrophes and consequences," said Iranian Foreign Ministry Spokesman Hassan Qashqavi.
The Turkish government issued a similar statement regarding the conflict in "brotherly Yemen."