JINAN, China, July 27 (UPI) -- Chinese police Tuesday announced the arrest of a contractor in the bizarre gassing death of a panda at the zoo in Jinan City.
The suspect, identified only as Yang, was taken into custody Monday night in connection with last week's death of a female panda that was exposed to toxic fumes while workers disinfected a former air-raid shelter next to the zoo's panda house.
Police told the Xinhua news service that the 48-year-old Yang had hired the crew that was disinfecting the shelter. The fumes traveled through a ventilation pipe into the panda house.
"The shelter was legally leased and we were not aware of the air-pipe, which was not included in the facility's design paper," said a spokeswoman for the civil air defense office in Jinan's Tianqiao district, which owns the shelter.
The panda, a female named Quan Quan, had lived at the zoo for three years and was the age equivalent of a 70-year-old human, Xinhua said.