Advertisement

Some Cronkite FBI files were destroyed

Some Cronkite FBI files were destroyed
U.S. President Barack Obama speaks at a tribute to the late television journalist Walter Cronkite on September 9, 2009 at Lincoln Center in New York City. Numerous dignitaries attended the morning memorial service for the former CBS anchorman who died in July. Obama is returning to Washington later today to deliver a major prime-time address to a joint session of Congress on health care. UPI/Spencer Platt/POOL | License Photo

WASHINGTON, Sept. 23 (UPI) -- A former FBI attorney says the bureau should not have destroyed its files on former CBS television anchorman Walter Cronkite.

Scott Hodes, who used to be the top lawyer in the FBI records office, said agency policy requires records on prominent people to be preserved, USA Today reported.

Advertisement

"You are not supposed to destroy records that are historically valuable," Hodes said. "Somebody should have known who Walter Cronkite was."

USA Today had requested Cronkite's files under the Freedom of Information Act but was told some of the documents had been destroyed in 2007.

The FBI had no immediate comment other than to say they work with the National Archives to preserve historically significant documents.

Cronkite was the anchor of the CBS nightly news from 1962 to 1981. He died in July at the age of 92.

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement