NANGGONG, China, Aug. 22 (UPI) -- Carbon monoxide poisoning killed six workers in a metal products factory in northern China's Hebei province, authorities said.
The accident occurred Friday when two workers handling a pipeline were overcome by gas leaking from a valve at Shuanglong Metal Products Co. in Nanggong City, the state-run news agency Xinhua reported Saturday.
Neither worker was wearing a respirator or carrying a carbon monoxide alarm, a local official told Xinhua.
The other four workers were overcome by gas and died while trying to rescue the first two workers, Xinhua reported. A seventh worker was treated and released.