BLACKSBURG, Va., July 28 (UPI) -- Family members of those killed or injured in the Virginia Tech massacre urged Gov. Timothy Kaine Tuesday to reinstate a panel that investigated the shootings.
A statement signed by 65 victims' families said a report by the investigatory panel appointed by Kaine contains "grave errors, misinformation and glaring omissions," The Washington Post reported.
"We respectfully ask that Governor Kaine re-convene the panel," the statement said. "We consider the panel's report extremely valuable, and we cannot accept that the commonwealth allows it to stand with errors of any kind."
Many relatives were disturbed by the revelation that medical records of the shooter, Seung-Hui Cho, had turned up last week in the home of the former director of the university's counseling center. Virginia Tech had claimed the records were lost, and their discovery raises questions about the accuracy of the report and about what transpired before, during and after the shootings, family members said.
Cho killed 32 people before turning a gun on himself during the April 16, 2007, shooting spree. Another 17 people were wounded and six more hurt trying to get to safety.
In an interview Tuesday on WTOP radio, Washington, Kaine said, "We are going to open the factual narrative of that report and look at any information that has come in since."