KABUL, Afghanistan, July 25 (UPI) -- Afghan security forces halted a series of coordinated suicide attacks Saturday in the eastern city of Khost, military officials said.
Gen. Mohammed Zahir Azimi, a spokesman for the Defense Ministry, and the International Security Assistance Force fielded by NATO gave different accounts of events, CNN reported. Azimi said the insurgents, wearing suicide vests, began shooting, wounding 14 civilians and four members of the security forces, while ISAF said the insurgents were killed by Afghan police.
An ISAF spokesman said a car carrying insurgents exploded at a checkpoint outside a hospital, wounding several people. Other targets included a national police building and a bank.
Khost is in Khost Province, which borders Pakistan.
Also Saturday, a British soldier was killed by a roadside bomb in Helmand Province.
The death of the soldier, who had been on a vehicle patrol in the Lashkar Gah district, was the 20th fatality of the month for British troops, CNN said. The deaths have come as British and U.S. forces are staging an offensive against Taliban insurgents in the province.
Meanwhile, three members of the Afghan security forces were killed and three others were hurt in Kandahar Friday when they and NATO troops were attacked while searching a compound believed to be used by a Taliban commander in charge of suicide bombings, the U.S. broadcaster reported.