HALIFAX, Nova Scotia, June 10 (UPI) -- Fire in a washroom fan caused an American Airlines flight from New York to Zurich to make an emergency landing in Halifax, Nova Scotia, officials said.
Flight 64 with 210 people aboard was more than an hour into flight when its pilot radioed an emergency call to Halifax Stanfield International Airport Tuesday night saying there was smoke in the cabin, The Chronicle-Herald reported.
"We got the call at 7:48 Halifax time, and the plane landed 32 minutes later at 8:20," airport spokesman Peter Spurway told the Canwest News Service.
The fire was traced to a mid-section washroom ceiling fan in the Boeing-767, and cigarette smoking was not considered a factor, he said.
It took 10 minutes for passengers to disembark on stairs on the airport's de-icing pad. A young woman was treated by paramedics and released, the reports said.
Another jet was dispatched from New York and the flight resumed early Wednesday, the newspaper said.