MUMBAI, April 17 (UPI) -- The lawyer for the only surviving suspect in the Mumbai terror attacks said Thursday as his trial began he wants to retract his confession.
The lawyer, S.G. Abbas Kazmi, told the court that Mohammed Amir Ajmal Qasab says he made the confession under police coercion, Press Trust of India reported.
Judge ML Tahilyani postponed a ruling on the confession. He denied a defense motion to try Qasab as a juvenile.
The November 2008 attacks were carried out by 10 gunmen who came ashore in small boats. The targets included Nariman House, an Orthodox Jewish community center, and two luxury hotels, and 173 people were killed and more than 300 wounded during three days of fighting.
Nine of the gunmen died.
Special Public Prosecutor Ujjwal Nikam laid out a case that the attackers had been trained in Pakistan by Lashkar e Toiba, a terrorist group. The prosecution case is based on Qasab's confession.