SAN FRANCISCO, April 11 (UPI) -- Authorities say there is a $250,000 reward being offered to help find the vandals who severed underground fiber-optic cables in California.
The San Francisco Chronicle reported Saturday that the incident disrupted telephone service in southern Santa Clara, Santa Cruz and San Benito counties.
On Friday, officials said they were tracking down at least 10 leads and reviewing traffic-camera footage taken near one of four sites where the cables were cut Thursday in the Bay Area.
AT&T, which owns many of the severed cables, increased the $100,000 reward it offered previously.
"This case is going to be solved through a citizen contact," said San Jose police Sgt. Ronnie Lopez.
During the outage, telephone users were unable to call 911, the newspaper noted.
"We've been running around doing a lot of service calls, but nothing as far as any major crime or emergency that was discovered," said Santa Cruz County sheriff's Sgt. Christine Swannack.