LONDON, Feb. 23 (UPI) -- Former terrorism suspect Binyam Mohamed was headed back to Britain Monday after being released from the U.S. prison in Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, officials said.
Mohamed, 30, once accused by the United States of involvement in al-Qaida terror plots, had been held at Guantanamo since September 2004. Charges against him were dropped late last year and he wasn't expected to be detained by police upon his arrival in Britain, The Times of London reported.
Mohamed left the U.S. detention cente early Monday accompanied by officers from the London Metropolitan Police Counter-terrorism Command, a uniformed police escort and a doctor. His flight was to land later Monday at RAF Northolt west of London, the human rights campaign group Reprieve told The Times.
Mohamed claims he was a victim of extraordinary rendition and torture by the United States, in which he says British agents colluded. An Ethiopian national who moved to Britain at the age of 15, Mohamed said he was kidnapped in Pakistan in 2002 after the United States launched its war on terror and says he was interrogated in Morocco and Afghanistan before being placed at Guantanamo, the newspaper reported.