MOSCOW, Nov. 30 (UPI) -- The Russian Defense Ministry called reports that top officers have resigned to protest proposed reforms "brazen lies" Saturday.
Col. Alexander Drobyshevsky, a spokesman for the ministry, also responded to reports of a crackdown on information about the proposed changes in the military by Gen. Nikolai Makarov, the chief of staff.
"A number of deputy defense ministers are now on missions to the military districts to explain these issues to the servicemen," he said.
Previously this month, Makarov reported "the creation of a new look for the army" to the Duma, Kommersant reported. The plan included cutting the number of regular and reserve officers by 160,000.
News media in Moscow have reported the resignation of Gen. Vladimir Isakov, deputy defense minister and chief of the logistics service, and Gen. Vladimir Isakov, who heads the General Staff's main investigation department.
"These reports are brazen lies," Drobyshevsky said.