BAQUBA, Iraq, Nov. 30 (UPI) -- Thirty-eight bodies have been recovered from a mass grave north of Baquba, Iraq, this weekend, officials said.
More bodies could be found as Iraqi police continue to dig out the shallow mass grave in the village of Abu Tomma, a former stronghold of al-Qaida In Iraq, CNN reported Sunday.
The bodies, all of adult men, showed signs of torture, with some blindfolded and some decapitated, officials said. Some appeared to be wearing uniforms of the Iraqi Security Forces, but most are believed to be civilians who were kidnapped while trying to pass phony checkpoints, the broadcaster said.
Officials said it wasn't clear how long the bodies have been in the graves, but some estimated they had been buried at various times during the past two years.