Advertisement

O.J. Simpson back in custody after verdict

O.J. Simpson leaves the Clark County Justice Center after closing arguments on October 2, 2008 in Las Vegas. Simpson faces 12 charges, including felony kidnapping, armed robbery and conspiracy. The jury was told at day's end to return Friday morning to begin deliberations. (UPI Photo/Isaac Brekken/Pool)
O.J. Simpson leaves the Clark County Justice Center after closing arguments on October 2, 2008 in Las Vegas. Simpson faces 12 charges, including felony kidnapping, armed robbery and conspiracy. The jury was told at day's end to return Friday morning to begin deliberations. (UPI Photo/Isaac Brekken/Pool) | License Photo

LAS VEGAS, Oct. 4 (UPI) -- O.J. Simpson remained in custody in Las Vegas Saturday after being found guilty on all 12 counts in his armed robbery and kidnapping trial.

Attorneys for the former NFL great say they will appeal the verdict, in which Simpson, 61, is facing a possible life sentence stemming from a Las Vegas hotel room confrontation with two sports memorabilia dealers last year.

Advertisement

Clark County District Judge Jackie Glass set sentencing for Simpson and co-defendant Clarence "C.J." Stewart for Dec. 5.

The jury returned the verdicts late Friday night after one full day of deliberation and 13 years after his Oct. 3, 1995 acquittal of criminal charges in the deaths of his ex-wife, Nicole, and her friend, Ron Goldman.

Simpson and Stewart were convicted of stealing memorabilia from dealers Bruce Fromong and Alfred Beardsley in the Palace Station hotel Sept. 13, 2007. Simpson says he was trying to retrieve property stolen from him.

"We may quibble with how it was done, what was done," Simpson attorney Galanter in his closing argument, the Los Angeles Times reported. "You may all say he didn't use common sense. But the real issue is whether he had criminal intent to commit a crime."

Advertisement

Latest Headlines