ANNAPOLIS, Md., Sept. 3 (UPI) -- Residents in and around Annapolis, Md., say that 100,000 Atlantic Menhaden died this week because of too much algae in Chesapeake Bay.
Chesapeake Bay Foundation official Bill Goldsboro said an overabundance of algae in area waters led to the sudden deaths of hundreds of thousands of the filter-feeding fish, WUSA in Washington said Wednesday.
"It drew all the oxygen out of the water and the fish kill resulted," Goldsboro said.
Goldsboro blamed the sudden increase in algae on a dramatic rise in the amount of nitrogen in the region's water supply.
"Nitrogen pollution comes from a variety of human activities, the way we use the land by putting on fertilizer, both residential and agricultural, but also sewage treatment plant, wastewater," he said.
Meanwhile, Annapolis resident Dana Sorro said the pollution and ensuing fish deaths in Chesapeake Bay was disappointing.
"It's sad that this is what's happening to our Chesapeake Bay, especially because of all the living creatures that are in it should be preserved," she told WUSA.