THE HAGUE, Netherlands, July 31 (UPI) -- Former Bosnian Serb leader Radovan Karadzic declined to enter a plea Thursday at The Hague on 11 counts of war crimes, genocide and crimes against humanity.
Karadzic is accused of genocide in the massacre of some 8,000 Bosnian Muslim men and boys at Srebrenica and the killing of thousands of civilians during the siege of Sarajevo.
Karadzic questioned the way he was brought to court, Sky News reported. His attorney has already claimed Karadzic was arrested earlier than Serbian authorities said and was held illegally.
When asked if he would represent himself at the hearing, Karadzic said, "I have an invisible adviser but I have decided to represent myself" at the hearing and throughout the trial.
Karadzic has 30 days to enter a plea. If he refuses, a plea of not guilty will be entered for him.
The judge at the International Criminal Tribunal for the former Yugoslavia, Alphons Orie, said Karadzic would remain in custody until the next hearing Aug. 29, but he could file for provisional release.
The founder of Republika Srpska lived for 13 years under an assumed name, practicing alternative medicine in Belgrade and writing articles and traveling to conferences. He was arrested last week, after a moderate government seeking to improve Serbia's ties with the European Union was elected.