KHARTOUM, Sudan, Oct. 10 (UPI) -- The Sudanese government ordered the recent attack on an African Union peacekeeper camp that left 10 people dead, a top Darfur rebel chief alleged this week.
Sudan Liberation Movement leader Abdul Wahid al-Nur alleged that Sudanese government officials ordered the assault on the military base as part of an attempt to interfere with a planned U.N. peacekeeping force deployment, The Independent (Britain) said Wednesday.
"This was an attack by the Khartoum government and (allied Janjaweed) militias to send a message to the international community not to send troops," al-Nur alleged. "But all Darfuris want this U.N. force to protect them."
Darfuri militants had been blamed for last week's attack on the Haskanita base, but the rebel leader insisted the militant group was actively taking part in the ensuing investigation.
The British newspaper said that al-Nur wants the increased peacekeeping force to be deployed in Darfur before he will agree to take part in any regional peace negotiations.