MOSCOW, Aug. 14 (UPI) -- At least one possible suspect has been identified in the bombing of a Russian train that left 60 people injured, authorities said Tuesday.
Alexander Bastrykin, chief of the Prosecutor General's Office investigation committee, said “the first pieces of information about a potential suspect” had been developed. But he would not expand on who the suspect might be.
RIA Novosti reported a police spokesman as saying profiles had been compiled on two possible suspects.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the attack. Bastrykin said it was too early to discuss motives for the Monday night explosion that left a six-foot crater in the tracks.
“A final one has not been chosen yet, but terrorist attack is among the likely ones. We cannot exclude some others,” he said.
Authorities estimated the blast was caused by 6.6 pounds of TNT that was placed under the track and detonated by remote control in front of the locomotive of the Moscow-St. Petersburgh train Nevsky Ekspress, Itar-Tass said. More than 3,000 feet of track also were damaged and four of the 12 passenger cars of the electric train were derailed.