WASHINGTON, March 15 (UPI) -- The alleged architect of the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks confessed to planning them and taking part in many other terror attacks around the world.
Khalid Sheik Mohammed's confession came in a statement made at a private Guantanamo Bay military hearing last Saturday.
"I was responsible for the 9/11 operation, from A to Z," Mohammed said in a transcript released by the U.S. Department of Defense.
A representative read off a list of other terror acts, some planned and some carried out, in which Mohammed, who testified in Arabic and broken English, said he played a part.
"I don't like to kill people," the transcript quoted Mohammed as saying. "I feel very sorry they been killed kids in 9/11."
The purpose of the hearing was to see whether Mohammed was correctly classified as an enemy combatant.
Mohammed, a top aide to al-Qaida leader Osama bin-Laden told the tribunal that he considered himself at war with the United States.
The Washington Post reported that Mohammed appeared to allege that he had been abused in U.S. custody, although portions of his lengthy statement had been redacted.