DURHAM, N.C., Dec. 22 (UPI) -- Rape charges were dropped Friday against three Duke University lacrosse players, although they still face other charges in North Carolina.
The young woman who said she was assaulted when she performed as an exotic dancer at a team party told prosecutors she could not be sure she was raped, the Raleigh News & Observer reported. Under state law, penetration is required for a rape charge.
District Attorney Mike Nifong, who has been accused of being too quick to prosecute the case, had no comment. The newspaper said that a Christmas wreath on his office door had been replaced with a sign warning the news media to keep out.
The three lacrosse players -- David Evans, 23, of Bethesda, Md.; Collin Finnerty, 20, of Garden City, N.Y.; and Reade Seligmann, 20, of Essex Fells, N.J. -- deny they attacked the young woman. At a news conference Friday, a defense lawyer said there was no corroboration of her story and demanded Nifong drop kidnapping and sexual assault charges.