Contractor: Inspector faked 'Big Dig' memo

Aug. 3, 2006 at 11:27 PM
share with facebook
share with twitter

BOSTON, Aug. 3 (UPI) -- A major contractor on Boston's Big Dig charges that a safety inspector fabricated what purports to be a 1999 memo on problems with the project.

The memo was published last week in the Boston Globe. John Keaveney reportedly confirmed that he was the author of the memo, which the newspaper had received anonymously.

Modern Continental, the contractor involved, told the Boston Herald it had no record of ever having received the memo. It also said dates in the memo were not consistent with the history of the project or Keaveney's involvement with it.

Keaveney purportedly says in the memo he is concerned about the safety of iron workers already in the tunnel, but they did not start their work there until several months after the date on the memo.

He also reported seeing rusting tiebacks and other metal parts, but the parts had not been installed at the time.

The Globe issued a statement saying it had published what Keaveney said and was now printing the company's response.

Related UPI Stories
Trending Stories