LUTZ, Fla., June 5 (UPI) -- Two young adults in central Florida were found dead after they apparently climbed inside an 8-foot advertising balloon filled with helium.
Jason Ackerman and Sara Rydman, both 21, were found inside the partially deflated balloon Saturday by the property manager of a luxury apartment site in Lutz, north of Tampa, the Tampa Tribune reported Monday.
Hillsborough County, Fla., sheriff's spokeswoman Debbie Carter said toxicology results from the autopsies would not be available for a few weeks, and there was no evidence of foul play at the scene.
Inhaling small amounts of helium constricts the vocal cords, and gives a person's voice, a high, cartoon-like quality.
Dr. Cynthia Lewis-Younger, director of the Poison Information Center at Tampa General Hospital, said while helium is not significantly toxic enough to cause death, being in an oxygen-depleted environment is, the newspaper reported.