BAGHDAD, Nov. 9 (UPI) -- Prosecutors and defense attorneys say holding Saddam Hussein's Baghdad war crimes trial is too dangerous after a second deadly attack on a defense lawyer.
The criticism came one day after three gunmen sprayed a car carrying two defense lawyers with bullets, killing one and injuring the other. Another defense lawyer for the deposed Iraqi dictator and his co-defendants was gunned down last month.
Richard Goldstone, lead prosecutor at the International Criminal Tribunal for Former Yugoslavia, said from his experience, the time has come to move the trial, The Independent reported.
"I don't understand how you can have a fair trial in this atmosphere of insecurity with bombs going off." he said. "It is just impossible to have a public trial if you can't guarantee the safety of witnesses, judges or defense counsel."
Saddam's main lawyer, Khalil al-Dulaimi, saidTuesday's shooting was done by "an armed group using government vehicles." He said the goal was to intimidate lawyers.
"We call upon the international community to send a committee to investigate because the situation is becoming unbearable," al-Dulaimi said.