THE HAGUE, Netherlands, April 20 (UPI) -- Appeal judges at the international court in The Hague have reduced the genocide charge and jail sentence of Bosnian Serb Gen. Radislav Krstic.
An appeal court at the International Criminal Tribunal for the Former Yugoslavia reduced the 56-year-old's sentence from 46 to 35 years in prison, The Times of London said.
In 1995, Krstic led his men into the so-called U.N. safe haven of Srebrenica, where 7,000 Muslim men and boys were slaughtered.
In a statement, the five appeal judges ruled prosecutors had not proved intent.
"Conviction for genocide can be entered only where that intent has been unequivocally established," the ruling said. "There was a demonstrable failure by the trial chamber to supply adequate proof that Radislav Krstic possessed genocidal intent."
So far, Krstic is the only defendant convicted of genocide since the tribunal was established in 1993.