HAIFA, Israel, Oct. 4 (UPI) -- A suicide bomber killed at least 18 people and injured 50 in an attack on a crowded restaurant in the northern port of Haifa, reports said Saturday.
There was no immediate claim of responsibility for the bombing, which comes on the eve of the Jewish Yom Kippur, or day of atonement holiday.
Initial police reports said the bomber blew himself up after entering the Arab-owned Maxim restaurant, destroying the building, the BBC said.
Three children are reported to be among the dead.
It is the first such attack since Sept. 9, when 15 people were killed in twin suicide bombings in Jerusalem and Tel Aviv.
Palestinian chief negotiator Saeb Erekat condemned the attack.
Avi Zohar, director of the Magen David Adom ambulance service told CNN "It was one of the biggest mass casualty incidents in the last year. The number of dead is high, more than usual in mass casualty incidents."