HONG KONG, Sept. 16 (UPI) -- Health officials said Tuesday a 34-year-old woman at the center of a SARS alert in Hong Kong is not infected with the disease, ChannelNewsAsia reported.
Lam Ping-yam, Director of Health in Hong Kong's Health Department, said officials had confirmed the woman did not have severe acute respiratory syndrome after repeated tests.
Earlier, the female patient was admitted to the Princess Margaret Hospital in an isolation ward for observation, tests and treatment, after doctors said they did not rule out the possibility of SARS.
She had sought treatment at a private hospital last Wednesday, and X-rays showed she had spots in her lungs.
The woman has no travel history and her daughter and parents, whom she visited recently, are in good health and show no symptoms of the pneumonia-like illness, local radio said.
Fears of a new outbreak in Hong Kong were raised last week after Singapore confirmed a 27-year-old postgraduate medical student had developed the disease.