N. Korea softens on nuclear standoff

Sept. 2, 2003 at 11:20 AM
share with facebook
share with twitter

PYONGYANG, North Korea, Sept. 2 (UPI) -- North Korea said Tuesday through its state-run media that it wants to resolve tensions with the United States through further dialogue. That is a shift from recent threats to boost its nuclear arsenal unless Washington signs a non-aggression treaty with Pyongyang, Voice of America reported.

The commentary also said North Korea will continue to take part in six-nation talks. China, the North's top ally, hosted a first round of talks last week to help reduce tensions over Pyongyang's nuclear ambitions.

But after the talks ended, North Korea called them pointless and dismissed the need for further meetings with the United States, South Korea, Japan, China and Russia.

Related UPI Stories
Trending Stories