Advertisement

No abuse charges for Boston priests

BOSTON, July 23 (UPI) -- No sexual abuse charges will be filed against Boston-area clergy despite a clear record of abuse, it was announced Wednesday.

Attorney General Thomas Reilly said nearly 1,000 cases spanning 60 years likely occurred, but new laws could not be applied retroactively.

Advertisement

He said the litany of abuse and the Catholic church's disregard "borders on the unbelievable." The report was the result of a 16-month grand jury investigation.

Reilly placed the bulk, but not all of the blame on retired Cardinal Bernard Law, who became archbishop in 1984, allegedly aware of the abuses.

"With rare exception, none of his senior managers advised him to take any of the steps that might have ended the systemic abuse of children," Reilly said.

Last year, Massachusetts passed a law making reckless endangerment of children a crime, but from the 1950s to present, no such laws existed, which Reilly said prevented charges being filed.

Latest Headlines

Advertisement
Advertisement

Follow Us

Advertisement