Grand jury member accused of leak

Dec. 10, 2001 at 4:42 PM
share with facebook
share with twitter

MIAMI, Dec. 10 (UPI) -- A federal grand jury member was indicted in Miami Monday for leaking information about a federal investigation into drug smuggling to at least one of those who was indicted.

The investigation resulted in a search warrant served on O.J. Simpson, but he was not named in any indictment in the case.

After Simpson's home was searched Dec. 4, his attorney, Yale Galanter, said he had known about plans for the raid the previous day. He would not say if he told Simpson.

Galanter said no drugs were found, but that agents confiscated television satellite transmission equipment he said Simpson brought with him when he moved from Brentwood, Calif., to Miami.

There also was a report that Simpson attracted attention because of a telephone tap on which his voice was heard talking to one of those who were indicted.

Galanter said Simpson's name was heard on the tape but not his voice.

U.S. Attorney Guy Lewis would not comment Monday on any involvement Simpson had in the investigation or on how Galanter heard about the raid the day before it happened.

The investigation, dubbed "Operation X," involved the smuggling of the drug Ecstacy into the United States by Andrew Anderson and the "Anderson drug organization." Nine people were arrested in Miami and two in Chicago.

FBI Agent David Magnuson said in an affidavit that grand jury member John Acosta had notified one of those indicted, Zenaida Galvez, to the investigation and the indictment.

Magnuson said Acosta first denied the charges, but after he was arrested he changed his mind and admitted telling Galvez, whose boyfriend is a friend of Acosta's.

Simpson was acquitted by a circuit court jury in Miami this fall of burglary and battery charges stemming from a road rage incident a year ago. The former football star was accused of reaching into a car and grabbing another motorist's eyeglasses, inflicting a small cut on the man's temple.

The jury ruled there was no evidence Simpson reached into the car.

Simpson was acquitted of the June 1994 slayings of ex-wife Nicole Brown Simpson and her friend, Ronald Goldman, in a trial that was televised nationally. A civil trial was conducted later and held Simpson liable for the two slayings. He was ordered to pay their families $33 million in damages.

He moved to Miami-Dade County in September 2000. He has appeared on police reports three other times since October 1999, all for disputes with his girlfriend, Christie Prody. No charges were filed in any of the incidents.

Trending Stories