June 1 (UPI) -- Former Everton manager Carlo Ancelotti has departed the Premier League soccer club and returned to Real Madrid as head coach, it was announced Tuesday.
The 61-year-old Ancelotti agreed to a three-year contract with Madrid and will be introduced in a news conference Wednesday, the club said in a news release.
The Italian boss replaces his former assistant Zinedine Zidane, who resigned last week. Zidane guided Madrid to a second-place finish in La Liga and the Champions League semifinals last season before stepping down, citing a lack of support from club president Florentino Perez.
"I would like to thank the board of directors, the players, and the Evertonians for the tremendous support they have all given me during my time at the club," Ancelotti said in a statement Tuesday. "I have complete respect for everyone associated with Everton and hope they can achieve the exciting opportunities they have in front of them.
"While I have enjoyed being at Everton, I have been presented with an unexpected opportunity which I believe is the right move for me and my family at this time."
This is Ancelotti's second stint as manager of Madrid after taking the job in 2013 following the departure of Jose Mourinho. Ancelotti won the Champions League, Copa del Rey, UEFA Super Cup and FIFA Club World Cup in two years with the club.
Ancelotti was fired in May 2015 and went on to coach Bayern Munich, Napoli and Everton, who finished tenth in the Premier League last season. He also had previous coaching stints with Reggiana, Parma, Juventus, A.C. Milan, Chelsea and Paris Saint-Germain.
Ancelotti is one of just three managers to win the Champions League three times -- twice with A.C. Milan and once with Madrid -- and one of only two to manage teams in four finals.
As a player, Ancelotti was a standout midfielder for Roma, A.C. Milan and Italy, capturing three Serie A titles and two European Cups.