CHICAGO, Nov. 21 (UPI) -- An embarrassing 4-0 loss at the hands of Costa Rica was the latest chapter in a book of blunders written by Jurgen Klinsmann and the USMNT.
On Monday, U.S. Soccer announced that Klinsmann "has been relieved of his duties" as head coach of the U.S. Men's National Team and as the Technical Director of U.S. Soccer.
"Today we made the difficult decision of parting ways with Jurgen Klinsmann, our head coach of the U.S. Men's National Team and Technical Director."
"We want to thank Jurgen for his hard work and commitment during these last five years," U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati said in the release. "He took pride in having the responsibility of steering the program, and there were considerable achievements along the way."
Klinsmann, 52, took over the USMNT in 2011. He supplied a 55-27-16 record. In 2014, the USMNT escaped the "Group of Death" en route to the round of 16 at the FIFA World Cup.
The USMNT's latest loss came on Nov. 15 in the FIFA World Cup Qualification CONCACAF final group stage. Its next match is set for March 24, in the same group stage, against Honduras.
"Many are aware of the historic victories, including leading us out of the Group of Death to the Round of 16 in the 2014 FIFA World Cup, but there were also lesser publicized efforts behind the scenes," Gulati said "He challenged everyone in the U.S. Soccer community to think about things in new ways, and thanks to his efforts we have grown as an organization and expect there will be benefits from his work for years to come."
"While we remain confident that we have quality players to help us advance to Russia 2018, the form and growth of the team up to this point left us convinced that we need to go in a different direction," Gulati said. "With the next qualifying match in late March, we have several months to refocus the group and determine the best way forward to ensure a successful journey to qualify for our eighth-consecutive World Cup."
Multiple sources are reporting that Los Angeles Galaxy coach Bruce Arena will take Klinsmann's place. Arena, 65, coached the USMNT at the 2002 and 2006 World Cup. Klinsmann was under contract through the 2018 World Cup, before his demise. Gulati signed Klinsmann to an extension in Dec. 2013.
Last year, former USMNT captain Landon Donovan said that Klinsmann should be fired if he lost to Mexico. The USMNT lost the match in extra time.
Bruce Arena will be named as the new head coach of the #USMNT as soon as tomorrow, per three sources - following Klinsmann's firing today— Martin Rogers (@mrogersUSAT) November 21, 2016
"Around the world, if a player plays poorly and a player has a bad string of results, they get dropped from the team," Donovan told ESPN FC. "Jurgen said many times he wants our players to feel pressure—so if they lose a game they can't go to the grocery store the next day. If they lose a game, they are getting hammered in the press.
"Well, the same holds true for the coach, and so we had a very poor summer with bad results in the Gold Cup. The last game against Brazil was probably the worst game I've seen them play under Jurgen. The reality is that now, anywhere else in the world, if this coach had those results, and they lose this game against Mexico, they'd be fired."
Donovan expressed similar sentiment in March when he told the Dan Patrick Show that Klinsmann "shouldn't be the coach," if it would have lost its World Cup qualifier to Guatemala. The USMNT won that match 4-0.
"There has never been a greater time for soccer in this country, and with the support and efforts of the millions of fans, sponsors, media and friends, we look forward to continued progress in the game we all love," Gulati said.