Philadelphia Flyers G Michal Neuvirth recovering after scary collapse during game

By The Sports Xchange
Philadelphia Flyers goalie Michal Neuvirth (30) makes a save on a shot. File photo by Mark Goldman/UPI
Philadelphia Flyers goalie Michal Neuvirth (30) makes a save on a shot. File photo by Mark Goldman/UPI | License Photo

Philadelphia goaltender Michal Neuvirth was released from Pennsylvania Hospital on Sunday and was back at home resting comfortably a day after collapsing in the crease early in the Flyers' game against the New Jersey Devils on Saturday.

All diagnostic testing came back normal. Neuvirth will be re-evaluated Monday afternoon, according to general manager Ron Hextall. Neuvirth reportedly was suffering after-effects from a severe upper respiratory infection he's been fighting for more than a week.


Neuvirth, 29, was awaiting a faceoff at the far end of the ice 7:37 into the game when he fell backward in his crease and landed on his back. He lay motionless as Flyers athletic trainer Jim McCrossin ran onto the ice to attend to him. Three other team doctors later joined McCrossin.

Neuvirth appeared to be unconscious for a brief time but soon began moving his arms and legs. He later sat up and was carted off the ice in a seated position.

"It's obviously pretty scary when you see your goaltender just collapse like that," Flyers forward Chris VandeVelde said. "I'm not sure really what happened, if he fainted or got lightheaded or what, but pretty scary and glad to see he was moving and functioning when he was rolled off the ice."


According to Flyers teammate Colin McDonald, Neuvirth was not feeling well before the game.

Making his 28th appearance of the season and first since March 25, Neuvirth stopped six shots before the incident and did not appear to have any unusual contact in the crease before his collapse.

Neuvirth was replaced by emergency backup Anthony Stolarz, who was recalled by the Flyers just two hours before game time after No. 1 goaltender Steve Mason fell ill.

Latest Headlines