Advertisement

LA Chargers' Joey Bosa says he's in 'better place' after injuries

By
Jake Elman
Los Angeles Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa only had 5.5 sacks in 2018. File Photo by Matthew Healey/UPI
Los Angeles Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa only had 5.5 sacks in 2018. File Photo by Matthew Healey/UPI | License Photo

July 29 (UPI) -- Los Angeles Chargers defensive end Joey Bosa said he's in a "much better place" after injuries limited him to only seven games last year.

Bosa missed the season's first nine games with a foot injury. He avoided surgery and had 5 1/2 sacks after returning in November.

Advertisement

"I don't know if it makes me a better player that I have a messed-up foot ... but going through that, I think I would have had an unbelievable year last year, and I would have added on this year," Bosa said Sunday at Chargers camp.

"I was frustrated last year, but it's over now," Bosa added.

Bosa has 28 1/2 sacks since debuting in 2016. He made the Pro Bowl in 2017 after recording 12 1/2 sacks and forcing four fumbles in 16 games.

Bosa said he's excited that his brother Nick is only a few hours away. Nick Bosa was the No. 2 overall pick by the San Francisco 49ers in April's NFL Draft.

"It's so cool that we're going through it at the same time, and he's feeling healthy, which is what is important right now," Joey Bosa said. "It was nice to be able to train this year [together], just push each other in that aspect, now we're in the league together."

Advertisement

The Chargers close the preseason against the 49ers on Aug. 29. Los Angeles opens the regular season against the Indianapolis Colts on Sept. 8 in Carson, Calif.

Latest Headlines