March 6 (UPI) -- Could there be anything behind the thought of the Dallas Cowboys adding one of the several former All-Pro running backs available in free agency?
You wouldn't think to give that a second thought after the tremendous season of All-Pro rookie Ezekiel Elliott. But Elliott is still under investigation by the NFL for an alleged domestic violence incident. A suspension could put him on the shelf for an indefinite period.
But Cowboys owner Jerry Jones isn't worried about that possibility.
"Absolutely nothing anywhere that indicates anything other than what they told us when we left training camp," Jones told the Dallas Morning News, "and that is that they have no cause."
"There is just nothing," Jones said. "I know I would have heard about it. I would have the information if there were something. I know that."
Elliott has not been arrested or charged in relation to two alleged incidents.
TMZ acquired a police report in July that stated that Elliott's female accuser told police she was "assaulted" by the running back.
The police report also said that cops spoke with four witnesses who said they did not see an assault. The woman clams to be Elliott's ex-girlfriend, while Elliott has denied a dating relationship.
Elliott has denied all allegations. The same woman also accused Elliott of domestic violence in February 2016. He has five total allegations standing against him, according to USA TODAY.
Elliott, 21, refuted a TMZ report that he was detained by police on Feb. 17 outside of a Columbus nightclub. He later deleted the tweet where he refuted the report.
The rookie led the NFL with 1,631 rushing yards in 2016. NFL commissioner Roger Goodell maintains that there is no "timetable" for the investigation.
"I am not putting any pressure on our investigators," Goodell said last month. "We have highly trained, highly skilled people and we don't put time limits on those decisions. We want them to be thorough, fair, to come to the right conclusions and notify me from there. At this point, there is no timetable."
Elliott's attorney, Frank Salzano, said in an October press release, via Tom Pelissero, that the NFL will "clear Mr. Elliott of any wrongdoing and this matter can be finally put to rest."
Salzano stated that the Columbus, Ohio prosecutor's office had a seven-week investigation and concluded: "there was no credible evidence to file any charges" against Elliott. The NFL also interviewed Elliott about the incident. The league later sent follow-up questions to the star running back, regarding the alleged assault.
Players don't have to be charged legally to be suspended by the NFL for violating its personal conduct policy.
If Elliott is good to go again for a full season, the Cowboys also aren't concerned about feeding him too much football. After leading the league with 322 carries last season, coach Jason Garrett said he won't ease up on handing the ball to No. 21.
"Well, he certainly handled the opportunities we gave him really well, both as a runner, blocker and as a receiver," Garrett told the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. "We thought he got better and better as the game went on and really as the year went on as well. I thought he handled it really well. He's one of those players you want to have on the field, you want to give opportunities because he makes such a big difference to your football team."
Elliott said in January that he just wants closure on the situation.
"I do want closure," Elliott told reporters.
"I do. I would rather them not drag it on as long. I think if there was something to find, which there's not, they would've found it by now. The police did a very thorough investigation.
"I will tell you this -- it just seems like they're dragging their feet right now. Who knows, man? I just want it to end."
The NFL's new league year officially begins on Thursday, March 9.