According to ESPN's Ed Werder, Romo is "expecting" his release and not a trade. Werder reported that Romo "believes he can start as NFL QB" for two to three more seasons.
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said in November that he had "no plans for him not to be part of the Dallas Cowboys." Earlier this month Jones was a bit more optimistic about a move, telling the Dallas Morning News: "I don't known how ultimately we will resolve this and nobody should be alarmed because you don't have all the answers."
The 37-year-old gunslinger is under contract for $14 million next season and counts $24.7 million against the salary cap. He is signed through 2019.
Jones changed his tune in 2017, saying that there are "several cards to be played" when it comes to the veteran quarterback's offseason options. Romo missed 15 games this season after hurting his back in preseason. He played in just one game, completing 3-of-4 passes for 29 yards and a score on Jan. 1 against the Philadelphia Eagles.
KUSA's Mike Klis reported last month that the Denver Broncos "likely would only express interest in Romo if he is released." The Buffalo Bills are also said to be showing "significant interest" in the four-time Pro Bowl selection.
On Monday, Cowboys safety Barry Church encouraged other teams to go after Romo. The veteran defensive back said Romo was "dropping dimes" in practice and "looked like 2014 Romo," while appearing on 105.3 The Fan.
"Go get 'em," Church said on 105.3 The Fan, via the Dallas Morning News. "He's a heck of a competitor, the ultimate team leader. He can only help any team out there. Other than what, New England, he can pretty much help every team. If they asked me, I'd say yeah, go get him."