New York Giants' Victor Cruz has 'strong possibility' for release

By Alex Butler  |  Feb. 7, 2017 at 1:22 PM
share with facebook
share with twitter
1 of 3
| License Photo

Feb. 7 (UPI) -- Salsa extraordinaire Victor Cruz might not be dancing in the New York Giants' end zone anytime soon.

NJ Advance Media's James Kratch considers it a "very strong possibility" that Cruz is released this offseason. The 30-year-old wide receiver had 586 yards and a touchdown on 39 receptions in 2016. Cruz, a Pro Bowl selection in 2012, played in 15 games this season and is scheduled to be a $9.4 million cap hit in 2017. He is due a $1 million roster bonus in March.

Cruz took a pay cut in March, reducing his base salary from $7.9 million to $1.3 million.

After the Giants' season-ending loss to the Green Bay Packers in the NFC playoffs, Cruz said he plans on staying around.

"Absolutely," Cruz said, according to Ralph Vacchiano. "This is family. This is home. I don't know anywhere else. I don't want to know anywhere else."

Cruz, who made his name in the slot, moved outside this season. He split snaps with rookie Roger Lewis. Cruz is due $6.4 million in 2017. He is signed through 2018. He inked his five-year, $43 million contract in 2014.

A decision on Cruz's roster spot is expected to come before March. The Giants report for offseason workouts in April.

"Obviously the ball is in their court to assess the team, make their evaluations and then go from there," Cruz said last month on the Timeout with Taylor Rooks podcast.

In his Pro Bowl season, the undrafted free agent had 1,092 yards and 10 touchdowns on 86 receptions.

Related UPI Stories
Trending Stories
Photos