FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- It doesn't look as if Todd Bowles will join his predecessor on the unemployment line.
The New York Daily News reported Wednesday that sources within the organization expect Bowles to be retained by owner Woody Johnson. The Jets are 4-11 in their second season under Bowles, who appeared to be a rising star when he directed the team to a 10-6 record last year.
Bowles said Wednesday he is not focused on his job security and that he and Johnson have not discussed his status for next season.
"We've talked about a lot of things, but mostly football on a week-to-week basis," Bowles said. "We'll talk about next year after this last game."
The Daily News noted Bowles can't be considered completely safe due to Johnson's impulsive nature. Johnson entered the 2008 season finale planning to keep then-third-year coach Eric Mangini regardless of how the Jets, who were in wild card contention entering their game against the Miami Dolphins. But the Jets lost and missed the playoffs and Johnson fired Mangini the next morning after the team started 8-3 but lost four of its last five games.
Johnson, of course, then hired Rex Ryan, who was fired in January 2015 and replaced by Bowles. Ryan quickly landed with the Bills but was fired Tuesday after failing to complete two years on his five-year deal.
Another change of heart can't be ruled out after a season in which Bowles' on-field and off-field coaching style has come under fire due to a litany of lopsided losses (five of the Jets' defeats have been by more than 20 points) and locker room issues.
Muhammad Wilkerson and Sheldon Richardson, who were expected to anchor the defensive line, were suspended for the first quarter of the game against the Miami Dolphins on Nov. 6 due to chronic tardiness while Richardson and Brandon Marshall had to be separated following a loss to the Kansas City Chiefs on Sept. 25.
Richardson also sniped at Marshall following last Saturday's 41-3 loss to the New England Patriots.